Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Introduction


My names Derek Baltar and I grew up in a suburb in South Florida called Pembroke Pines. Since I was a kid, I’ve been interested in art. I have been drawing since elementary school but it was in middle school where I realized what interested me most was clothing design. Aside from that I’ve always been a good student but have had trouble applying myself. I was fortunate enough to be brought up by parents who didn’t impose their beliefs on me and supported me through every decision I made. Oddly enough they are polar opposites; my dad is strict, calculated, and reserved while my mom is easy going, improvisational, and outgoing. He’s book smart while she’s street smart. I like to think this contrast gave me the best of both of their personalities. I also have an older brother who I’ve been getting closer with since I’ve left the house. We’ve all gone on some amazing trips, the most notable being London and Paris in 2014. I was also able to travel with my girlfriend to New York and Boston this past fall and it was definitely a learning experience being my first time traveling alone. Another “learning” experience was when I arrived at UF in the spring last year. At the time, I considered pursuing an art major but ended up deciding on the engineering major, Digital Arts and Sciences, because it incorporated design in a degree that would give me a lot more opportunities out of college. Despite my major, I still want to pursue a job in fashion design, specifically starting my own clothing company. I’m sure this class will take me closer to that goal and I’m excited to start that journey.
These are some doodles I did over a year ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment