Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Idea Napkin No. 2

  1. I am a computer science major who is interested in clothing design. My skills are surrounded on creativity and problem solving. I would say my talents include drawing and graphic design and in a broader sense, being personable and outgoing.  My aspirations would be to open my own store where the shopper can design their own clothes. Eventually I would want design my own line. If I were able to start this business, I would see it taking up most of my time as it is something that I have always wanted to do.
  2. Many people have noticed a lack of options when it comes to male clothing companies. Most brands are over commercialized or so simple that they seem indistinguishable. I would like to bridge the gap of these 2 extremes by creating a clothing store that grants the shopper the ability to customize their own clothes by changing aspects of it like trims, collars, buttons, colors, and materials. The shopper will be able to order it online or in-store and pick it up at a later date. There will be a starting price for the blank shirt and every customization added to it will increase its value. Customization prices will differ based on what aspect your designing. The shirt will cost more than a regular shirt but still affordable for the average person.
  3. My business idea would mainly tend to younger males but could easily be popular with any guy who is into fashion, regardless of his age.
  4. People are tired of being of the tedious styles that major companies use. This brand would be very valuable to the industry because it would provide clothes that could fit any style the shopper desires while remaining distinct. 
  5. As far as I know, there isn't any stores trying to implement anything near my idea. Tailors are somewhat comparable but much less accessible while mainly tending towards fancier clothing rather than casual. The clothing would also be much cheaper than a traditional tailor because there will be templates to follow and materials already prepped for customization. No company in the clothing industry grants the shopper as much input as Demize. For that reason, I believe my idea stands on its own.
  6. I thought of this idea a couple of semesters ago so I have had some time to flush out the ideas that weren't cohesive with the overall concept. My one concern would relate to the fact that I want to have my own line of clothes that I've designed. Although the style would fit the types of shirts that would be customizable, I think it may be beneficial to focus all my attention on the customizable aspect because that's what really separates my brand from others. 

    Feedback memo: 
    • Will it be expensive?
    • How will you determine the price?
    • Whats the difference between my store and a tailor?
    • Won't you have to wait to long for your shirt to be made?
    • Wouldn't this only be for rich people?
    I address how expensive the shirts will be and how I will determine the price in general terms in the "What I am offering to my customers" bullet (2). I touch on the differences between my brand and a tailor in the "What are your core competencies" bullet (5) to emphasize why my company stands out. I received feedback that pointed out that people would not like the idea of not being able to immediately walk out the store with their shirt after they make it. To address this I include that you could design the shirt online and pick it up from the store when it's ready in (2). Lastly, I referenced some reasons as to why it would be priced fairly in (5). Some of the elements in my first napkin did not need to be changed very much as the feedback did not apply to it.


3 comments:

  1. Hello Derek,

    Your male clothing idea is very detailed and prepared. However, most males do not like shopping. They just wear things that were purchased by women(mom, daughter, wife). To attract your potential customers(males), I think you should rather aggressively focus on these women. It is just my opinion, but overall your idea is really great! Please visit my blog and give me some feedback on my idea napkin. It is http://bongjukang.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Derek! I think you would definitely have a good market base. Many of the guys I know care about their appearance and would definitely like to have more options. By letting your customers customize their clothes you are opening up numerous options to them. I do not agree with marketing this to women. Your product is for men who care about their clothes. If someone cares about their clothes they would not want someone else picking out what they wear. I definitely think your idea is really well developed. Great job! Here's the link to mine http://ufent3003.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-2-week-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Derek, your clothing line will will a bigger market, which is the clothes as a whole, but you will be find a niche for your idea, which is incredible. You are will be letting individuals use their creativeness for fashion. Some questions, would your line be open to women as well?. You mentioned that your main clothing product would be shirts, and shirts are also very popular with women as well.


    Here is my blog: http://anaguevarauf.blogspot.com/2016/03/idea-napkin-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete