Thursday, February 11, 2016

Idea Napkin No. 1


  1. My name is Derek Baltar, I am interested in clothing design and my skills are surrounded on creativity and problem solving. I would say my talents include drawing and graphic design and in a broader sense, being personable and outgoing.  My aspirations would be to open my own store where the shopper can design their own clothes and I would eventually want design my own line. If I were able to start this business, I would see it taking up most of my time as it is something that I have always wanted to do.
  2. The male clothing industry today is very polarized. There are the brands that put their name as large as possible, making you a walking billboard; or there are brands that are so simple, it's impossible to distinguish it. I would like to create a company the bridges the gap between these two sides by having a store that grants you the ability to create your own unique clothes.
  3. My business idea would mainly tend to younger males but could easily be popular with any guy who is into fashion, regardless of his age.
  4. I am sure many guys feel the limited selection when it comes to buying clothing. This brand would be very valuable to the industry because it would provide clothes that could fit any style the shopper desires while remaining distinct.
  5. As far as I know, there isn't any stores trying to implement anything near my idea. I would say the closest thing to my brand would be the online websites where you customize the graphics on t-shirts but even that is very different. Those shirts have very limited options, allowing changes only in the color of the shirt and the graphic/font you decide on. My brand would be making shirts that are customizable from the top-down (i.e: trims, collars, buttons, colors, materials). As I eluded to before, those companies create graphic t-shirts while mine would grant the ability to choose the type of shirt as well as the customizable aspects making it recognizable. For these reasons, I believe my idea stands on its own.
I thought of this idea a couple of semesters ago so I have had some time to flush out the ideas that weren't cohesive with the overall concept. My one concern would relate to the fact that I want to have my own line of clothes that I've designed. Although the style would fit the types of shirts that would be customizable, I think it may be beneficial to focus all my attention on the customizable aspect because that's what really separates my brand from others. 

5 comments:

  1. I really like your idea, being able to get exactly what you want when you go shopping would be amazing. Usually people see something they like and then later look for it but almost never find, so they settle for something similar. Im just now imagining how amazing it would be to be able to get the exact shade of that aqua color shirt i was looking at a few weeks.
    Check out my blog! http://adnabrkanicent3003.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek,

    Years ago a dear friend of mine was with a song writer in Nashville, Mark Lowry. They were having coffee and Mark Lowry literally wrote down a few lines of the a song that has gone on to become a modern Christmas classic, Mary Did You Know. My friend, Buddy Greene, an amazing musician (banjo, guitar, harmonica) finished the words and put it to music. Sometimes it takes more than just a few lines to finish an idea that in itself is a winner. I understand your idea on a clothing line, however, I don't see the concept of customization of shirts being anything more than the traditional tailor. Plus, a customer would not be able to walk in and purchase a customized shirt and walk out with it - and in a world of instant gratification, this concept would work only in a particular demographic (rich and famous). With that said, I would not trash the idea, but rather think outside the box as to how you can design one particular item that can be marketed. Plus, if you want your own brand, then you need your own design and branding - otherwise it's like everyone is making their own pizza - different and without continuity. You could of course, make a 'kit' of clothes that someone could choose their own trims, collars, etc and market that, but then your demographic would be narrowed down to just those who sew. Just some thoughts. Don't get discouraged. Design your own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Derek it sounds like you really have thought this business through. I like your idea and it sounds like there could be a good market out there for you. I do have a question for you though. If you are going to offer so many variations what is your price point going to be? How will you be able to scale this business with every piece of clothing being so different? I am just guessing, but will you have a certain line of clothing that is a standard? I would imagine if you had a few lines with standards you could really ramp up productions and realize some production efficiencies. I wish you good luck in your endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Derek I wanted to check out my Napkin Idea. You can see it at http://9to5isoverrated.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no1.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there Derek!

    I really liked your idea and I thought it was very cool how you took something that already has such a big market and many competitors like clothing and created a niche spot for yourself! I think it's a great idea and definitely has a lot of potential. My only concern would be how expensive it would be to implement something so specific based on each customer. So you would probably need to either invest a lot of your own finances in it or garner a lot of funding.

    Here is my link to my blog if you want to check mine out: http://lbritthoff.blogspot.com/2016/02/idea-napkin-no-1.html

    ReplyDelete